Friday nights Ben makes “real” pizza for his family and on February 19th he’s going to show you how. Sign up here: CAST IRON PIZZA CLASS
But first, like in high school, we understand that sometimes pizza is just dinner: FAST!
For that you need SPLAT.
I don’t even remember where I got this recipe - The Splendid Table? - I do remember hearing you can make it almost as fast as learning the recipe. It’s the anti-Ben version. Though not as bad as delivery, it is certainly not pretty.
SPLAT in six lines...
- Get deli counter dough at the grocery store
- Pre-heat your oven, cast iron skillet inside, maximum temperature
- Pre-cook your ingredients - whatever, but not too much - and, make your dough sorta round-ish
- When ingredients are pre-cooked, and with your dough ready, cheese and sauce at-hand, turn your largest stove eye on high and place your hot cast iron pan over the eye: full blast.
Get ready, the next steps are the Fast and Furious
- Splat, dough goes in the pan and gets covered with ingredients: work fast
- Back in the oven for a few minutes to finish.
You get the thin-crust char with this method. Be careful though: you’ll get the char if you aren’t careful handling the blazing hot pan.