Dates N' Dove Poppers
Date N' Dove Poppers
Makes 14 Pieces
7 whole dove breasts
7 strips of bacon (not thick cut)
7 large medjool dates, pitted
1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
2 teaspoons Hardcore Carnivore Camo seasoning
1 Butterpat pan
1. Start by prepping the dove breasts. Make sure they are clean from cartilage and shot, then separate the breasts down the middle into individual lobes, giving you 14 total pieces.
2. Cut the bacon strip in half (perpendicular - a shorter wrap means no chewy/floppy inner layer of bacon). Also cut the dates in half along their length.
3. Assemble a popper. Lay a piece of dove on one end of the bacon half, then season with a pinch of five spice and a slightly more generous pinch of Camo seasoning. Lay the date piece on top of the dove, then wrap the bacon around the filling to complete. Repeat steps with remaining ingredients.
4. Heat a Butterpat skillet over medium flame, about 3-5 minutes. I like to use a tiny spritz of canola oil before I start, but this is optional.
5. Place the poppers in the pan, bacon seam side down. Lower the flame to medium low. Cook undisturbed 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook a further 5-7 minutes on the other side.
6. For an extra crispy finish, place the pan in a preheated 375º oven for a further 8-10 minutes, being mindful this will result in ‘well-done’ dove.
7. Remove poppers from pan, wait a minute or two for the ‘bacon magma grease’ window to cool, then enjoy immediately!